Broadway Minskoff Theater Lion King Getty Images/Getty Images Entertainment/Stephen Lovekin
By On This Day in NYC's History

MINSKOFF THEATRE

On March 13, 1973: The Minskoff Theatre opened. It was designed by architects Kahn and Jacobs and was named after Sam Minskoff and Sons, the builders and owners of the high-rise building. It is a 1,621 seat venue and served as host to musicals, dance companies, and concerts. Today, it is home to the musical The Lion King.

LUCIANO PAVAROTTI

On March 13, 2004: Italian operatic tenor Luciano Pavarotti gave his final performance at the Metropolitan Opera. He still had concerts planned until October 2005.

Luciano Pavarotti Italiano Tenor

Getty Images/Hulton Archive

UNCLE SAM

On March 13, 1852: The New York Lantern published the first cartoon of Uncle Sam by Frank Bellew. The name Uncle Sam was used to refer to the United States since the 1810s, but Bellow was the first artist to portray him in human form. The cartoon showed John Bull assisting his country’s shipping industry while Uncle Sam did nothing to help the U.S. shipping industry.

Uncle Sam Costume Philadelphia

Getty Images/Getty Images News/William Thomas Cain


Leave a Reply